History of CARAGA
Region 13 was created by virtue of Republic Act No. 7901 which was enacted on February 23, 1995. The name CARAGA accordingly finds its root from the word “Calagan” or “Kalagan” which refers to a group of people believed to be Visayan in origin that occupied the northeastern part of Mindanao. Calagan comes from the word “Kalag” – meaning soul or people, “an” – meaning land. This group of people is known in history as treacherous and fearless people, and thus their land has often been referred by chronicles as land of brave and fierce people. For the PNP however, this PRO is the “Land of Brave, Friendly and Peace-Centered Police Force”.
History of PRO 13
COLONEL RAFAEL CAPADA RODRIGUEZ
Philippine Constabulary, Armed Forces of the Philippines
COL. RAFAEL CAPADA RODRIGUEZ set foot in Agusan Province after WORLD WAR II. He headed the Agusan Constabulary Command from June 24, 1951 to January 15, 1953.
He was born on October 24, 1902, in Cebu. He was a proud graduate of then Philippine Constabulary Academy, now Philippine Military Academy, Class of 1926. He was married to Prosperidad Atega of Cabadbaran, Agusan del Norte and blessed four (4) sons and three (3) daughters. One of his sons, DIRECTOR GENERAL UMBERTO A RODRIGUEZ, became the Chief, Philippine National Police from May 6, 1993 to July 8, 1994. COL RAFAEL C RODRIGUEZ met his creator at the early stage of his life in 1956 by natural death at the age of 54.
In 1967, the Agusan province was then divided into two (2) provinces namely Agusan del Norte and Agusan del Sur. Consequently, the command was renamed as Agusan del Norte Constabulary Command (ADNCC). The ADNCC was temporarily stationed at Agusan Pequeno, then at the vicinity of Philippine Coast Guard Sub-station, Brgy Urduja and later in Brgy Agao in a place known as “PC Barracks”, all of Butuan City.
In 1975, the Integrated National Police (INP) was created, paving the way for the renaming of the Command as Agusan del Norte PC/INP Command (ADN PC/INP Command). On June 26, 1981, the ADN PC/INP Command was moved to the “PC Reservation” in Brgy Libertad, Butuan City and named “Camp Rafael C Rodriguez”, in honor of COL. RAFAEL C. RODRIGUEZ.
It was in 1990’s when the “UNVEILING” of CAMP RAFAEL C. RODRIGUEZ MONUMENT was held which was graced by then DIRECTOR UMBERTO A RODRIGUEZ, Chief, PNP, the proud son. For the second time, on May 19, 2006, then POLICE CHIEF SUPERINTENDENT GEARY L BARIAS, RD, PRO 13 held another “UNVEILING” of this monument as it represents the POLICE REGIONAL OFFICE 13 (CARAGA) already, the office being activated on April 1, 1996. On February 6, 2012 during the 21st PNP Foundation Anniversary, this “MARKER” is proudly laid to portray the life of COL RAFAEL CAPADA RODRIGUEZ for the present and future generations to recognize and appreciate the history behind the name “Camp Rafael C. Rodriguez”